Friday, June 20, 2008

POOR GIZMO

I was sweeping the kitchen floor on Thursday and saw something crawling, so I picked it up on the dust pan and the little thing was jumping around. Right away I thought, our dog Gizmo has fleas. I called Brad and told him we needed flea medicine for Gizmo. He went to Fry's and got some on his way home from work. Later that night we gave him a bath and then put the tick and flea drops on him at about 8:30. Then about an hour later he started acting crazy, crying, drooling and shaking, it was the saddest thing ever. First Brad washed it off and I started making phone calls. First I called my sister Tara and she said to call the 1-800 number on the box. I called the number, but was put on hold so I called the 24 hour vet in Chandler and they said to rinse his mouth out. I wasn't satisfied with that answer so I decided to call a second vet and they said to call the 1-800 number, bathe him in dawn dishsoap twice and bring him in. I called the 1-800 number again and they said to bathe him in dawn and take him to the vet. By this time we had bathed him twice in his soap and once in dawn and it was 11:30. Brad took him to the vet in Chandler they took blood and said he had poison in him and they might have to keep him over night to watch for seizures. At about 2:00 a.m. Gizmo had calmed down and the vet told Brad he could take him home. They gave him a muscle relaxer and said to watch him for the next 24 hrs. Since he's been home he has been doing good. We are so thankful, Kobe's heart would have been broken if anything would have happened. Here is the information on the flea and tick drops to pass on to anyone who has pets. Sergeant is the brand and I recommend not using it or any other medication made by this company because I googled it and there is over 100 complaints about this product. I will never use it again! We might have lost a night of sleep and payed $200 dollars, but Kobe still has Gizmo.

1 comment:

Amy Allred said...

poor little gizmo. i bet Kobe was worried. I'm glad that you caught it before it got too bad. Kolin looks so big in those pictures. He has changed so much since I've seen him last. I liked that Resort too. We really had fun. Next time well have to take the kids so they can go swimmimg.